Thursday, April 1, 2010

The gospel + me

There are quite a few Christians where I work. They all come from different walks of life. They believe in all sorts of varying doctrines. Sometimes there is debate. I try to stay out of it, but sometimes it is just too hard not to join in. It is hard to hear bad theology and just let it go. Sometimes when I do not join in, they ask me for my view anyway.

This is the constant struggle that goes on when work is slow. But it is my life, and it is not too bad. I have learned how to come half-way with people, and I think that is how the apostle Paul must have been.

There is one thing we can agree on. The only way to Heaven is to believe that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, became a man, died, and rose again to pay our wages of death. The problem is expecting people to accept everything else we believe before they are saved.

For example, we might view homosexuality as wrong. We have good scripture to back that up in Romans 1:18-32, and 1 Corinthians 6:9. But it is not up to us to convince a person to change his life before accepting Christ. All that a person needs to go to Heaven is the gospel. If they are truly saved, Jesus will work the rest out; not you. We have the duty to instruct them after they are saved, but not before.

Does a person have to accept young earth theology to go to Heaven? Not at all. They are wrong, but it is not part of the gospel. Hopefully by the grace of God their eyes will be opened to the truth, but don't bring that along with you when you spread the gospel. Are you saving the people, or is Christ? If they believe in the life, death, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, they are saved. It is not up to you to make sure they like Bill Gaither first.

No comments:

Post a Comment