Friday, April 9, 2010

Whitey Syndrome

I love working out. I also love saving money. So, I go to Planet Fitness because I get to do both. Now, I am not very strong (or athletic, flexible, coordinated, etc.) so my best is not as great as most of the other muscle machines that go there. My lift is only a little over 100 pounds, and I have seen baseball bats bigger than my arms. I have been this way my whole life, so I have just accepted it. It does not bother me.

But every once in a while, it gets to me. One Thursday night, I was lifting weights in the back room of Planet Fitness. As I was struggling with 100 pounds, I looked around and watched all the superhuman, non-white people. I saw Ving Rhames and the guy from the Green Mile lifting the entire machines themselves. I saw Bruce Lee lift eight pounds for every pound of muscle he had on his body.

Then I looked at my own pasty white self and thought, "Why did I have to be white? I wish I was black. Then I could be stronger. Or at least Asian..."

At that moment, Colored People by DC Talk came on my ipod. I then realized that God was trying to tell me that he made me white for a reason. He purposely decided to make me a pasty white boy with no athletic ability to keep me humble. Well, it worked.

"I tip my hat to the colorful arrangement, 'cause I see the beauty in the tones of our skin.." May I remember these words lest I ever again come down with whitey syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment