Monday, April 12, 2010

Do the Helen Keller

A general question given by many atheists is, "How can you believe in a God you don't see?" To be completely honest, most of the time my answer is as general as the question: "By faith." But there is a lot to that faith, much more than I used to understand.

God is a spiritual being. You cannot experience Him via your five senses (even though I argued in a previous post that your emotion can be considered a sense). I cannot taste God, see Him, hear Him, etc. All I know about Him is what I glean from the scriptures, and the happenings in the world around me. Sometimes it is frustrating to have a relationship, and not get to sense Him as I could another friend.

But now I think I know a reason why God makes it impossible for us to sense Him physically.

God is the God of all men. Weak and strong, rich and poor. He has compassion on the able-bodied, as well as the handicapped. If God were tangible, I could experience Him through my senses. But a blind man would miss out. He could not see the awesome glory of God that I do. Someone who lost his limbs in battle would not be able to reach out and touch God. A deaf man could not hear God's voice. Only those who are physically capable would properly worship.

Now let us come back to reality. God cannot be touched, seen, or heard. But because God is not sensed, the handicapped man has the same opportunity for experiencing God as I do. God plays no favoritism.

If you still are not buying my argument, ask a blind man why he believes in God if he can not see him.

1 comment:

  1. this is so short and sweet, and i love it that way =) SOOO true. i like your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete