Monday, March 1, 2010

Making Ripples

When I was a child, I loved the beach. I loved building sand castles, looking for seashells, and eating all sorts of junk food out of a paper bag for lunch. Though it was a dreamland for me, there was one aspect that I did not care for--the ocean. My mom or dad would hold my hand as we would walk to the shoreline. We would stand where the sand began to feel wet, and wait for the water to wash up on our feet. When the ebb and flow of the great sea would blanket my feet, I would jump back with a yelp because the freezing temperatures were too much to take for a young boy like me. As I would look out into the distance, I saw large, mighty waves pummeling people who did not stand a chance against it. That was all I needed to see. I was done. I then would run back to the higher, dry part of the beach and continue constructing my sandcastle.

No castle was complete without a mote. So, my dad would get a bucket of water, and we would fill in the ditch we had just dug with water. Now this water was much different then the water I had just witnessed a few minutes ago. This water was calm, and even boring. Just to see the water move a little bit, I would put my finger in it, and watch the ripples form, with the epicenter being at my finger. Even when I pulled my finger out, the ripples continued from the same spot. those ripples did not scare me. For the most part, I expected them, and with great joy.

In the world today, we have the chance to be witnesses for Jesus Christ. But we have to understand, people are scared away by the waves. If all we are doing is pummeling them over and over again without gentleness or compassion, they will be terrified and run back to the beach to play with their sandcastles.

In my workplace, I have tried to make ripples. I cannot let the spiritual waters become stagnant, so I put my finger in to disturb the water slightly. The people see the ripples, and begin to investigate their origin. This is when they will seek God by asking me questions, and I can give them the honest truth with compassion and love.

We are not called to scare anyone away. We are called to make disciples and baptize, and that is only done by making ripples in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment