Thursday, March 25, 2010

The motivation of Islam

This week at LBC, we have a had a chapel speaker who has told us a lot about Islam. Normally I do not go to chapel on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I could not miss this opportunity. I always find other religions intriguing. Not that I want to convert to them, but I like to know what they believe. It is interesting to know how the enemy has deceived the hearts of mankind.

Most people know the five pillars of Islam: the creed, alms giving, Hajj (journey to Mecca), fasting, and praying towards Mecca. The last one is the one I want to focus on.

Muslims pray five times a day. If they are in a Muslim country, they hear the call to prayer whenever it is time to pray. When I heard about their dedication, at first I was impressed with how zealous they are. They have it worked out that they will pray anywhere on a moment's notice. I thought to myself, "I don't think Christians even pray twice a day." I heard people asking, "If we have a greater motivation to pray, then why don't we?"

After thinking about it, I think I might disagree with the premise. I actually think Muslims as unsaved people have a more pressing motivation to pray. One reason is simply fear. The punishment for missing one prayer is 10,000 years in Hell before going to Paradise. What would your friends say if you openly disobeyed? Everyone would know that you obviously don't fear Allah, which is foolishness.

The second reason is spiritual dissatisfaction. Imagine a life that after every time you prayed, you did not feel the Holy Spirit answering your prayer. You felt like every time you prayed, you were praying to nothing. I think that a Muslim rigorously prays in hope that they will feel a spiritual satisfaction, for we understand that every person is lacking God and seeking his power to complete us. We would call that satisfaction a closeness to God, but according to the Muslim faith, Allah is not personal. He is a divine judge; not a Father Who loves you.

When you and I pray, we can have the assurance that God will satisfy us spiritually every time if we are worshiping in spirit and in truth. Satan has blinded the people of the world, and it is only through the power of the gospel that the scales will fall off. Let us march into this world holding the Word and the love of God as our divine weapons. Give the gospel. Destroy the enemy's hold. Let Jesus Christ reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment