Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Evangelogical

At my college, we have chapel three times a week. Luckily, being a commuter, I only have to go once a week. The infrequent attendance keeps chapel fresh for me. Everyone knows it is time to begin chapel when one of the Poorman sisters starts playing an instrument, and the rest of the band joins in. By the second song, people are really getting into the worship. As I look around, I see many people with their hands in the air, their eyes closed, and just praising God for all they are worth. I look at them and think, "This is really nice. I like to see people praising their creator." I think it is nice that they can get into the worshiping mood by listening to the music, because I am a musician and cannot.

You may be thinking, "Now hold up. That does not make any sense. You are trying to tell me that because you are a musician, the music does not move you?"

That is exactly what I am telling you.

As a musician, I understand the dirty little tricks that musicians play on peoples' psyches in order to make the listeners feel all bubbly and emotional inside. When I hear a song, I dissect the music, and it does not have the simple beauty that the other people are hearing. Picture Neo after he comes back to life in the Matrix. He sees everything in the code of the Matrix, as opposed to the illusion everyone else sees.

I find moments of worship in another way, a trusted way. When I am alone, I read the Bible. When I find a phrase that should be awesome to me, I contemplate it for a while. After I read it about a dozen times, key turns over the ignition in my soul, and I am overwhelmed by the truth that I am reading. Everything else fades away. My worship comes from reason. Sound boring? Sorry, but I guess I am not much of a romantic.

My Christianity is rooted in the word, and thinking about it intently. I worship God as an Evangelical that contemplates the word with logic. Therefore, I call my form of Christianity, Evangelogical.

If someone else has already coined this phrase, please tell me. I do not want to go on thinking that I came up with it if I have not.

1 comment:

  1. Nick, I have to agree with you on this one. Like you it is very hard for me to worship sometimes becuase of the music. Yes it is nice, but if one thing is wrong or doesn't seem right i pick up on it and dwell on it for the rest of the evenging. Sometimes though I will pray to God that He will clear my distractions and let me truly worship Him. But I did like your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete