Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fear Nothing

For those of you who don't know, I was once struck by lighting. And just to relieve the suspense: Yes, I survived. It wasn't a particularly dangerous situation, but enlightening nonetheless (Sorry. Couldn't resist). I was seventeen years old, and I was driving to Steph's house. Far off in the distance, I saw flashy charges lighting up the clear, daytime sky. I thought, "Wow. Hope that doesn't hit m..."

BANG!

Everything went bluish white and my car shut off. Luckily I was pulling to a stop anyway. My electronics turned off, but then they turned back on a few seconds later. My response was, "Hey. I was just hit by lightening." So I was a little uneasy, but not freaked out.

Though it didn't harm me, I still would rather that not happen again.

Tonight as I was driving home from Steph's house, I once again saw the lightening off in the distance. I was scared. I admit it. So kind of joking with God I said "God, if you spare me from this storm, I'll become a monk." Any history buffs? If you're not a history buff, that wouldn't make any sense. Sorry. I digress.

After "laughing it off," I prayed, "No really... will you keep me safe, Lord? I really don't want to be hit by lightening again seeing how I'm not stopping the car anytime soon. I don't want to lose control."

His response was humiliating:

"You want me to save you from this storm while you listen to that crap on the radio?"

I was instantly convicted. I turned the dial to WJTL, and was instantly uplifted. Positive song after positive song came on and I enjoyed them all. I started to forget about the storm. After some stupid girly pop song came on I began to contemplate the storm. I don't need to ask God to save me from the storm. He has told every lightening bolt where it should go. He is not fighting against the storm for me. He is directing it. I have nothing to fear. I then entered a worship that I had not felt in a long time.

Friends, storms in this life are not something to be saved from. They are authored by God. When we see lightening destroying the ground around us, remember it's God who is aiming it. We must trust Him to give us joy through it all, and remember that he is in control.

1 comment:

  1. literally jus started cryin - you dont kno how much i needed to read this nick .. thanks

    kayloni

    ReplyDelete